10 SOLUTIONS TO YOUR 2017 RESOLUTIONS
How can you make 2017 your best year ever?
Take this opportunity to say GOODBYE to the past and HELLO to creating a future with limitless possibilities. Begin with a renewed OPTIMISM by getting a NOTEBOOK or JOURNAL and contemplate these few questions:
- What did you accomplish in 2016 that made you feel good about you? Did you celebrate it? If not, what will you do?
- What one behavior are you still doing that is negative? What can you do now to end it?
- Who has influenced you during this past year—either hurtful or supportive? Thank them for their contribution to you either privately or personally.
- Go to our website, driris.com and review the article on the Freedom of Completion for 2016 & do the 6 exercises to get complete. Once done, now you are ready to move on….
CONSIDER MAKING ONE LIFESTYLE CHANGE PER MONTH FROM THE LIST OF 10 BELOW
Are you swearing off cookies and alcohol? Studies show that the three most common New Year’s resolutions are losing weight, exercising more and quitting smoking . . . all health related. You can achieve your goals, as well as maintain those changes all year round by balancing your body and mind and learning about a lifestyle conducive to optimal health. We would like to suggest 10 Solutions to Your 2017 Resolutions. Consider ONE change per month and at the end of 2017 you will have 10 lifestyle changes!!!
|3.||Sleep||8.||Enjoy the Simple Things|
|5.||Breathing/Spiritual||10.||Focus on Prevention|
- FOOD With the intentional avoidance of the word ‘diet’, we recommend meals that include the avoidance of starchy, sugary carbohydrates, are high in fiber, and consist of approximately 30% protein. Attention should be paid to the Glycemic Index (print out for yourself from the internet) of various foods. Awareness about what we put into our bodies, including avoiding toxic substances such as pesticides, partially hydrogenated oils, corn syrup, and artificial sweeteners can significantly reduce the chemical stressors to our adrenal glands. Eating several small meals throughout the day can help to even blood sugars and prevent hypoglycemic episodes, another significant stressor. Inclusion of abundant, fresh and colorful fruits and vegetables(organic when possible) will provide you with the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to support metabolic processes, limit oxidative damage, and promote efficient detoxification pathways. Keep praying and connecting with your vision of the higher power regularly by going to church, synagogue, deep breathing, visualization, meditation, journaling, etc. For something that we literally do almost constantly, breathing is an area that almost everyone can improve. Deep, slow breathing that involves bringing air into the lower portion of the lungs where oxygen exchange is most efficient can slow the heart rate, lower blood pressure, relax muscles, and reduce stress and anxiety. Deep breathing tells the adrenal glands that “everything is okay”. Therefore, take deep breaths into the belly instead of just filling up the chest and sucking in the gut. We have a number of deep breathing exercises we can teach you!
6. QUIT Far too many of the planet are suffering from an addiction to one or more substances that are harmful. The biggest offenders are of course tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and sugar, so let’s focus on those. There are many, many reasons why these substances are not healthful, but a few of them include:
- 3. SLEEP Although this seems like a very basic piece, restoring a regular sleep schedule with an early bedtime will provide the adrenal glands (along with the rest of the body) with the best opportunity to rest and repair. When time allows for it, sleep in! Also, paying attention to proper sleep hygiene is imperative. Work or other projects should be left in another room and the bedroom should be dark, cool, quiet and free of distractions such as blaring televisions. 4. LAUGHTER We have heard that laughter is the best medicine and it does in fact increase parasympathetic activity (the “rest and digest” branch of the nervous system). Of course any activity that brings joy or peace is beneficial and stress reducing, so make a point to spend some time doing what you love. Studies at Northwestern University and Fordham University concluded that laughter helps your immune system to function better, keeps hormones in balance, increases the body’s normal painkillers, relaxes tensions and it’s free! Bring a smile to your face by reading: Smile For No Reason by Lee Jampolsky. 5. BREATHING/SPIRITUAL PRACTICE
- 2. MOVEMENT Studies indicate that non-competitive exercise is healing to the adrenal glands, can reduce the risk of type-2 diabetes and aid in weight loss. Endorphins from exercise are known to improve memory, treat depression and alleviate pain. A new exercise regimen should begin gently and increase to approximately 30 minutes 5 times a week, depending on your individual goals.
|CAFFEINE is a stimulant and puts the body on constant alert. This chronic state of “fight or flight” or sympathetic dominance causes anxiety and irritability, sleep disturbances and mood swings. Aside from the fact that it will take more and more caffeine to get the same effect over time, the constant assault to the adrenal glands will eventually result in complete exhaustion or inability to produce adequate amounts of adrenal hormones.|
|ALCOHOL is a central nervous system depressant and presents a significant burden on the body’s detoxification pathways among other offenses.|
|NICOTINE has been shown to increase cortisol levels and the thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes are certainly a noteworthy strain on the body in many ways.|
|SUGAR can suppress your immune system, lead to problems with glucose and insulin metabolism, affect cortisol secretion, and contribute to weight gain.|
IMBALANCED HORMONES can greatly contribute to cravings and “need” for exogenous substances. The anxiety and insomnia that accompany falling estrogen and progesterone levels are often medicated by alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, sugar, or prescription medications. While the cessation of any of these substances requires a large helping of self-control and determination, treating your HORMONE IMBALANCES can give you a more stable platform from which to make clearer choices.
Quit changing many things at once, rather set goals that are logical, practical and maintainable. Once the initial momentum wears off, what will keep you doing what you need to do, to create the change you want to see for yourself and the world?
Why will this year be different?
Quit the same habit and repetition that’s familiar and comfortable, but do what works! Consider staying focused by creating the big picture in four week time frames. If you want it bad enough, be willing to do what needs to be done and prepared to do exceptional things to create exceptional outcomes!
- SIMPLIFY While this is easier said than done, the new year is a great opportunity to take a look at the activities and people in your life that cause you undue stress. Make a list of the things that you spend the most amount of energy on, and then eliminate the ones that provide the least benefit. If this is a friend or co-worker who is a constant drain, set clearer boundaries. If you are overextended with obligations, prioritize and cut out a few activities. This can greatly reduce overall stress levels. For many people, the primary stressor is their job, and while most people certainly can’t just quit a job that makes them miserable, they may be able to make some long term plans to change careers or enhance their education. Just having the plan, or the knowledge that you aren’t stuck in your current situation for the long term is a significant stress reduction for most people. Follow the OMG principle: One Major Goal per month.
- ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS
I encourage you to maintain meaningful and fulfilling relationships with family, friends and even pets. These relationships nourish our body, mind and soul. Whether dealing with illness, grief, or just the challenges of everyday life, having people and animals with whom we can connect and share regularly, allows us to release powerful emotions and feel a greater sense of well being. Take a walk or hike in nature, go to the movies, read a book, watch a favorite TV show or look at the sunrise/sunset. Make an appointment with yourself for 15-30 minutes a day and write in a gratitude journal at least 5 things you are thankful for each day. Consider doing Random Acts of Kindness like donating time or money to others, write someone a love letter, let someone ahead of you in line or traffic, etc. Create optimism and enhance your emotional and physical well-being by: counting your blessings, smile as smiling on the outside will send a message to your brain which will assume you’re happy and walk tall and look at people in the eyes. This will tell your brain you are confident and upbeat.
- HYDRATE The human body is made up of approximately 60% water, yet most of us aren’t consuming nearly as much as we should be. A good rule of thumb is to drink approximately half your body weight in ounces. Of course there are exceptions to this, so use your judgment, and for many people it will be easier to set lower goals and slowly work up to this level. The quality of water is important as well. Filtered water is crucial, as there can be many chemicals and poisons in our water supply. Drinking from glass or stainless steel is preferred to avoid the phthalates and bisphenol that can leech into water from plastic bottles. 10. FOCUS ON PREVENTION Think about where you are prioritizing your energy and money. Preventative and proactive visits for chiropractic care, massage therapy, thermography, acupuncture, your primary care physician and dentist can literally add years to your life. Spending a few extra dollars for some preventative exams, labs, procedures or supplements is a good investment. Plus, you may have some extra money after you have cut out the daily latte and happy hour!
CHERISH YOUR HEALTH-Let us help you put the pieces together for optimal health through identifying and correcting the interferences to total wellness.
STEPS TO WELLNESS:
- Reestablish structural imbalances through gentle chiropractic manipulative procedures, exercise/stretch/rehabilitation program, physiotherapy and therapeutic massage
- Rebalance electromagnetic
- Rebuild nutrition for organ/gland weakness-reset adrenal glands; restore proper digestion and elimination; balance hormones:
- Total Health Scan/17 step Health Stat Test
- Nutritional/Wellness Questionnaires
- Diet Diaries/Science Based Nutrition
- Saliva Hormone Panels
- Evaluate Blood Chemistry for optimal health/Functional Medicine
- Micronutrient & Allergy Blood testing
- Reprogram the body for allergy /sensitivities
- Re-evaluate stress imbalances and remove limiting belief systems
- Remove heavy metals and other toxins from the body
WHAT ONE SPECIFIC ACTION STEP CAN WE ASSIST YOU WITH EACH MONTH TO MAKE 2017 YOUR BEST YEAR YET?
Share with us your 2017 HEALTH GOALS and receive a
$25 HAPPY NEW YEAR GIFT CARD
to be used towards ANY CHIROPRACTIC SERVICE
at our office.
(one per person, valid thru 1/31/17, share with family & friends)